The National Disability Insurance Scheme is also called the NDIS. The NDIS helps with everyday supports for people with disability to live their life and achieve their goals.
As a registered NDIS provider, Ability Options can help you access disability services that meet your needs and that are right for you.
How does the NDIS work?
Disability can affect anyone and if you meet the eligibility criteria you can receive NDIS funding to access support services.
How to apply:
- First, you need to complete an Access Request Form to begin your application for the NDIS.
- Then, you will be invited to a planning meeting to help develop your NDIS plan. Your NDIS plan will show the types of supports you need and the funding you will receive to access them. This plan is used to access service providers, like Ability Options, who will provide you with the supports to live more independently.
- If your circumstances change, you can have your plan reviewed at regular or agreed times during the year.
Getting the most out of your NDIS plan
Knowing how to manage your NDIS plan is really important. The funding you receive will depend on your disability, needs and goals. There are three different funding categories that can be funded in your NDIS plan:
This is the most flexible budget which includes:
- Daily activities
- Assistance with social and community participation
Capacity Building Supports
Allocated across eight sub-categories, you can choose how to spend these funds to purchase any approved individual support within the category.
- Choice and control
- Daily activities
- Health and wellbeing
- Home living
- Lifelong learning
- Social and community participation
This includes supports such as assistive technology or modifications to your home, which depends on quotes from suppliers:
- Assistive Technology including equipment items for mobility, personal care, communication and recreational inclusion
- Home Modifications such as the installation of a handrail in the bathroom or building an accessible ramp
Understanding your NDIS plan will help you manage it well and make the most of your funding. Our Support Coordination team can also help you to navigate the NDIS and get the best out of your plan. To find out if you can access this service, simply check whether you have funding allocated in the “Capacity Building” budget within your NDIS plan.
To find out more about how we can help you better understand the NDIS, contact us on 1300 422 454. You can also visit the NDIS website for more information: ndis.gov.au